Monday, May 24, 2010

Almost 3 Weeks Already!

So much has happened since our last post, I don't even know where to begin. I went back to work last Monday and needless to say, it was quite difficult leaving Shelly & Kate for the first time. I ended up taking a half day so the transition would be a little easier for both Shelly and I. When I arrived home at 12:30'ish, I was so excited to see "my girls." Shelly was pretty beat from a tougher morning with Kate, so we gave her a nap and had some bonding time. About an hour or so after I got home, I decided it was a good time to put Kate on her Baby Einstein playmat. She was on her back for a little bit and wasn't too fussy, so I decided to start her 30 minutes of tummy-time for the day. Much to my surprise, a few minutes into it she actually rolled on to her back! I couldn't believe it given she was only 1 week and 6 days old! I just had to wake up Mom and let her know about her daughter's accomplishment. Unbelievably after that, she did it two more times and then once more later that night, which Shelly was finally able to see. She hadn't done it since then until just yesterday, which was quite exciting to see once again.

The following day, Mom and Kate went to her second pediatrician's appointment. This was actually the first appointment I've missed since Shelly became pregnant, but due to the fact that we were only able to schedule the appointment a couple days in advance, the 11:30 appointment time made it impossible for me to make it. The good news is Kate continues to do well. She now weighs 7 lbs. even and is 19-3/4" long. When we left the hospital the Friday after she was born she weighed in at only 6 lbs. 4 ounces. The following day, she went up to 6 lbs. 7 ounces. Two days later she had gained another 3 ounces and 8 days since then she gained another 6 ounces, which our Doctor was thrilled about.

Shelly continues to feel better every single day, which is not only music to her ears but mine as well. After hearing about how long the recovery process usually takes, her and I couldn't be more pleased with how well her body is handling postpartum. That being said, I'm sure holding and staring at her little bundle of joy helps things tremendously.

Since then, we've continued to have visitors and have just truly enjoyed spending time with our little peanut. Kate sure does love to be held and since I like to layout on the couch the two of us found a wonderful compromise.

One thing that continues to amaze us is how quickly her facial features seem to change. It's amazing how we'll put her down for a nap, and upon her waking up she looks so different already. Kate isn't even 3 weeks old yet and it already feels like time is going by way too fast! If only we could find a way to slow things down. :)

Lastly, we'd like to throw a shout-out to Auntie Jen who celebrated her Birthday this past Saturday and to her eldest son (our God-son) Zachary who turned 3 years old the following day! Happy Birthday, you two! Until next time, we'll leave you with a few more pictures:

Mom displaying her first of many Mother's Day gifts
(with a few tears in her eyes)
Kate, sporting her Mickey Mouse ears
(Given to her from Godfather Scott Burch and Godmother Jen)
Kate on her first walk with Mom & Dad

4 comments:

Scott said...

I knew she would be a genius!! She is so beautiful. I can't wait to hold her.....only 5 weeks to go!

Auntie Jen

Andrea said...

Love the pic of John on the couch with Kate!

Oh, and John, thanks for the birthday shout-out. It's nice to know I'm loved. :)

Auntie Dre

J, S said...

Seriously, Chuck....I missed your birthday? :)

You know I love you Dre! We'll get you in there....very soon!

J, S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.