Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Year Ago Today....

It's unreal to think about what I was doing a year ago today. As I look at the clock, I can easily recall walking the halls in the maternity ward at the hospital. While my contractions became more frequent, I was still certain that John and I were going to be heading home. Little did I know, an hour later I would be told that I was 8 centimeters dilated. In all honesty, I only remember two contractions - both of which came while I was laying down. For those of you that have had kidney stones, I can assure you that I felt that that pain was worse. So congrats to my dad, brother Greg, brother Jeff, Joe and Ryan on passing your little bundles of joy! On second thought, perhaps "joy" isn't the most appropriate word there.

Speaking of bundle of joy - I'm still in awe that John and I are parents to such a wonderful and beautiful girl. Prior to having her (and even being pregnant), people would always tell us that there was nothing like parenthood. They would continue by saying that they felt so much love for their child(ren) that it was simply unexplainable. To tell you the truth, I was worried that I wasn't going to share those strong feelings for my own child. However, holding her tonight and throughout this past year I can say that I get it. There is absolutely nothing like it.

Now join me in wishing Kate a happy birthday tomorrow! Three, two......

2 comments:

Laura said...

OOhh, sweet! Kate got a Garmin for her birthday! Happy Birthday
Love,
Greg, Laura, Brooke, and Charlie

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Big Girl Kate! We love you so much. It is amazing that it has already been a year. I remember when she was 8 weeks old and feeding her in the middle of the night and now she is a toddler. It goes by so fast and it keeps going faster and faster! Put "no grow" in her food!